Friday, December 30, 2005

Deer Hunter

Derek finally got a deer this week, after months of hunting. This is his first one this season; a small doe. His girlfriend's family wanted one to put in the freezer. Otherwise he would not have killed it. We do not believe in killing one JUST for 'sport'.

I worry every time he goes into the woods. It must be a 'Momma' thing. I also had a grown cousin killed while hunting. I know that Derek has been through gun safety training, plus his father is very big on teaching gun safety from a very young age. It isn't Derek's ability to be careful that worries me; it is all the other people out there. At least he hunts with a group of friends and they all know where everyone is sitting. With the technology today of cell phones, they call before moving through the woods.
I also ask him to give me a call to let me know when they are coming out of the woods and for me to know he is safe. I just have to trust that he will have his angel watching over him. All the men in our family have been hunters; his father, grandfather and uncles, my dad and several cousins.

My daddy took me rabbit hunting once, thankfully we didn't jump any rabbits. I also went deer hunting with the children's father, years before we had the kids. I found it boring! So when we spent time at the 'farm' (hunting land); I would always pack a good book and sit in the cabin.

No comments: