Sunday, February 19, 2006

Thoughts on looking for a Scrapbook Mentor

This morning there was a thread over at 2Peas about 'What do you look for in a mentor'? The questions asked were these:

What do you look for in a mentor?
publishing experience?
winner of a major contest?
length of time in the industry?
position in the industry?
style of work similar to your own?
someone who can answer your questions?
someone who will critique your work?
total honesty rather than ego-stroking?
depends on what you are looking to achieve?
What makes a good mentor?
What makes a good mentee?

This was my answer:
I would like someone that has published experience (either mag. or DT). A style similar to my own, yes. Also understanding that I am trying to GROW within my own style and step outside my 'box'. A mentor has got to at least TRY to answer my questions. LOL Someone that would critique my work with TOTAL honesty. I don't need my ego stroked. I just want to improve my scrapping. What am I looking to achieve? Hmmmm, I've only just started submitting - so that is a tough one. Yes, I would like to be published or make an online DT. I doubt I have what it takes to make a Manf. DT.
My idea of a good mentor is all that above.
As a mentee, I should listen and be open to constructive criticism. Be willing to try new things. Be able to step outside my 'box'.

However, I really have NO idea about how to find a mentor. Everyone says to email someone and ask them. OK. However, I am not one of those scrappers that takes note of every person that is on a design team already or has publishing experience. I want someone that has a good eye for design and can help me grow. I don't want to make EVERY page I scrap into something that is 'publish worthy'. I still like my clean and simple style. However, with that said, I've been trying to stretch myself within my scrapping. An example would be the sketch challenge I completed. When I first looked at it I was taken aback thinking I can't do that! It did take some time and brain power to work out the details. Yet, it was fun, I learned I COULD do it and I have a page I am thrilled to put into my son's album. It didn't turn out to be that 'hard' after all. So I know I have it within me someWHERE, for this "old dog to learn new tricks". Plus I love learning new things and constantly challenging myself to grow within this hobby that I love.

So now onto the task of finding that mentor. That almost seems like a larger challenge than just scrapping a new page!

6 comments:

Colleen said...

why in the world do you need a mentor. your work is gorgeous!

cindyMN said...

Mentor smentor..like colleen said..what in the world do you need a mentor for? Personally I dont think a mentor in sb'ing would be worth it. I would feel like I was getting more of THIER opinion...or work..then making my own..KWIM?? I LOVE your work..and I know you can do it! go girl!
cindy

Sarah said...

Hey! I lurked all day on that thread, and really liked your answer! That was you!!! Ceee-yoot hair!!!

I don't think I have the gumption to actually ask the person I want to mentor me. That being said, I have emailed her for advice when I was quite desperate.

Glad you posted your blog on gttlc!!! I'll be back!!!

Sherri said...

Ya'll are cracking me up!
Cindy - it's for a 2nd set of EYES on the page. I really would just like to know if I am wasting my time and to get a little input. You KNOW I wouldn't change a WHOLE bunch for anybody. ROFL

angieoh! said...

I think you need to give yourself some credit - your work is gorgeous! I think all of us suffer from SDS Scrapbooking Derangement Syndrome (too many cooks in the kitchen). Make art that you love, the rest will follow~

Becky said...

You don't NEED a mentor, don't stress!!!