Tuesday, February 21, 2006

My 15 minutes of FAME



In 2002, I had my 15 minutes of fame. That is me under the blue arrow. Betcha didn't know I was an "actress"?
I've always been a comedian in life. I can make fun of myself and laugh it off. So when the local newspaper had an article on the upcoming try outs for the community theatre play and it was a comedy; I knew I wanted to try it. I had never acted before in my life. I was TERRIFIED at auditions. I walked into this room full of people and didn't recognize a soul. I thought great, I don't have a chance. They've all been doing this forever. When the directors called me to come read for a part. I read it - that was it. Just straight from the book. It was awful I am sure! Then in walked this redhead with long hair and attitude. When she read for her part it was over the top awesome. This wasn't her first 'rodeo' as they say.
Finally they called me up again. One of the directors said, "read this like you would never do it on stage, WAY over do it." Then he told us a bit about each of the characters. I lucked out and got Nolie, a 40 something old maid bitter recluse with a broken heart. I read the part and put everything into it. I have a sarcastic side! I showed up for the 2nd night of auditions and was barely called up to read. My heart SANK. I just knew I didn't make it. I was later told that I got the part the 1st night of auditions! Of course I would get the part with the awful hairdo (I even grew my hair out for the play), terrible makeup and horrendous outfit! So much for my acting debut.
Being in the play was a lot of hard work. Practices three nights a week. Working on building the set on weekends. Then there were 3 night performances and one added on Sunday afternoon. Plus learning my lines. What was I thinking? Thankfully, my daughter ran lines with me every night and knew them as well as me, along with many of the other characters lines too.
Opening night was jitters. Not only was this a play, but it was a dinner theatre where the characters served the dinner and had to stay in character while serving. My part was the best for that, because my character was rude and didn't care if she remembered the 'orders' correctly! I had a blast and it went off without a hitch. It was the most amazing experience. My family came to see me 'on stage'; people from work came, including my bosses and their wives; friends too. My picture was in the local paper several times. I worked with the most wonderful group of amateur actors and actresses anywhere. They helped me remember that left stage is really on the right and right on the left. They were encouraging as well as hilarious.
With this I also marked off one of the things I have always wanted to do in life. Not the 15 minutes of fame (hardly enough for ALL the hard work!); but the part of acting in a play. And it was tons of fun.
Since I have worked back stage on other community plays. I have yet to find a part for me that rivals the infamous Nolie Frost. I keep hoping they will re-do Steel Magnolias, so I can play Weezie!!!!

4 comments:

Kim said...

That's very cool!! Kudos to you...I hate being in front of people!!

Adrienne said...

Very cool!!!!!!!

Lorrie said...

Wow! How fun! I could NEVER do that. I'm the girl that always wants to hide behind someone! I'm glad you had such a terrific time in the play!

Colleen said...

i LOVE weezer!!! she is my favorite!