Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Heartache ~


My heart hurts tonight. Yesterday I found out that my dog, Champion American Legend, "Gen" (pictured a few years ago at a Dog Show), has a tumor. He will be having surgery tomorrow morning. The vet said it couldn't wait. I was in a state of shock as my daughter and I left the animal hospital. Gen has been part of our family now for about 6 years. He has been my constant companion. Where I go, he goes ~ numerous camping trips, Washington D.C., soccer fields and just for rides around town. Gen is a Tibetan Mastiff. To understand a bit more about him I am including this information from the AKC history of the breed:
The history of the Tibetan Mastiff - the large guardian dog of Tibet - is hidden in the mists of legend, along with the people of the high Himalayan Mountains and the plains of Central Asia. Ancestors of today's Mastiff breeds are believed to have accompanied the armies of the Assyrians, Persians, Greeks and Romans and later, traveled with Atilla the Hun and Genghis Khan as far west as Europe. During these centuries, it is believed that the Tibetan Mastiff remained isolated on the high plateaus and valleys of the Himalaya to develop into the magnificent animal so highly prized by the people of Tibet.

Tibetan Mastiffs are traditionally kept tied to the gates of the house or monastery, or tied to stakes in the nomad camps, they are let loose at night. In addition, when the flocks are moved to higher pasture, the Tibetan Mastiffs were traditionally left behind to guard the tents and the children The dogs are expected to defend the flocks of goats, sheep and yak, the women and the children and the tents of their masters against predators such as wolves and snow leopards, as well as human intruders.

The close relationship of the Tibetan Mastiff with man throughout the centuries has given the dog a almost uncanny "human" understanding. Generations of working as a guardian of yak, sheep and, more importantly, women and children, requiring always a protector and not a killer, has produced a disposition and temperament of controlled strength, initiative, and fearlessness, tempered with patience, loyalty, and gentleness.


Gen has been our guardian. He is truly a 'gentle giant' with a huge heart. He has looked after my children with soft watchful eyes. Gen is a show champion dog taking many Best in Show awards at Rare Breed dog shows. He has sired champions and family pets. When Gen goes anywhere with me I always get asked "What kind of dog is that?". He 'commands' attention with his stature. He wins hearts with his gentleness.
I first met Gen at a local dog obedience class. I was there with my lab, Blaze. The lady teaching the class brought in one of her dogs...Gen. I was amazed at how well he tolerated my daughter rolling around on him in the floor. She used him for a pillow! After getting to know the teacher really well, I found she owned Gen, his father and his grandfather. Several months later she offered to let me take Gen home for a weekend to see if I really thought I would want this breed of dog. After 2 weekend visits, Gen became a member of our family. He still attended shows, winning more Best of Breeds and Best in Show. He also bred 2 more litters of pups. Over the last couple of years, Gen has been a happy couch potato. I've never known a dog that was this close to being a 'human'. Tonight I took some pictures of him in his favorite spot - lying in the hallway of my house where he can see every entrance; ever watchful. I have said a little prayer that we will still have many more days to share.

4 comments:

cindyMN said...

fsrMy heart is breaking for you sherri..will be thinking of you and Gen tomorrow!!! take care
cindy

Karen (Cupcake) Carter said...

I'll keep Gen in my thoughts. He sure is a handsome fellow. Would love to have a dog like that some day. Best wishes!!

Sophia C. said...

I'll be thinking of you both, Sherri. He's a beautiful companion for sure. Wish I could be there with you to just hold your hand. Keep us posted.

hugs,
Sophia

Nicky said...

I'm so sad for you, but am praying for a miracle. Let us know how he comes through the surgery.

Nicky