Wednesday, October 05, 2005

My Hurricane Katrina 'relief' story .....

Today one of the student organizations were selling those colorful wristbands for Hurricane Katrina relief. The wristband is my favorite color, 'blue', so I purchased one. It brought back the memories of my weekend working with the hurricane victims. I work full time for a University. When the 'powers that be' heard about the plight of so many fleeing the ravaged areas of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama they set into motion to open one of our old dorms up as temporary housing. I was lucky enough to volunteer and work that first weekend as tired people made their way to our location. I was touched by the appreciation of the people I have been in contact with, by their stories. Today, our student newspaper again told stories of students who volunteered and about the lives they touched and how their lives were touched.

I know sitting in front of my tv watching it all, I felt so helpless to be able to do something to help. I know many many others felt the same from the OVERWHELMING community response we received when the word went out that we were opening a shelter. It was amazing. It was touching. I was touched.

I am sharing a quote from the news article today by Ralph Waldo Emerson that sums it up ~
"It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life, that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself."

No comments: